Hello! This is the start of a recipe journal. The hope is that this will be a place where friends can post and share their favorite recipes and maybe stories and pictures to go along with them! This way you have a great place to go if you need/ want to make something for whatever reason and you don't have to go digging through books and boxes for that one recipe. ^.^

Thanks and Bon App
étit!

Friday, July 20, 2007










Jarrod’s Japanese style hamburgers.

Original recipe from:
http://japanesefood.about.com/od/beef/r/jahamburger.htm

My adaptation:

1 pound of ground beef
¼ of a cup of scallions or two healthy stalks worth
1 egg
¼ cup of milk
1 cup honey panko crumbs
Pepper (for seasoning)
3 tbsp Ketchup
1 ½ tbsp of Worcestershire sauce
1 ½ tbsp of shoyu (soy sauce)
1 heaping tbsp of freshly graded ginger

Preparation:

Place all the ingredients in a large bowl (original recipe uses the ketchup and worchestershire at the end to make a glaze but I kinda missed that and mixed it in…I like it mixed in, instead) and kneed well with your hands. (If you prefer not to use your hands, go ahead and use a fork.) Divide the meat and roll into balls, flattening them out just as you place them in the pan. The recipe says it makes four patties but when I made it, they came out HUGE! So, use your best judgment. Because the recipe has a lot of ingredients with sugar and I chose 98% lean beef, the burgers wanted to stick to the pan. An alternative to using a lot of oil would be to place it on the grill.

Garnish:

My friend Jarrod, who the recipe is credited to, isn’t particularly fond of tomatoes and thus I never serve this burger with them. Instead, I found that lettuce, a few thin slices of red onion, and thinly cut cucumbers, served on a hearty bun makes an awesome meal. I hope you enjoy!

Story:

In college, the judo club I worked out with loved socials. Every time they could find a reason to get together, they did. At one of the last BBQ’s of my senior year, Jarrod made these awesome burgers. They were so good, I ate two! (an enormous feat, I tell you…but they were sooooo good!) I love making these burgers because they remind me of all the good times and wonderful people I met and became close too. If your making this for a social event like a BBQ, the honorary way of serving this is with a good bottle/can of beer (for some…maybe two. Tehe! ^.~) Personally, I like it with a nice cool glass of mugicha. (this is an unsweetened ice tea made from roasted barley) Its’ absolutely delicious.

No comments: