Hello! This is the start of a recipe journal. The hope is that this will be a place where friends can post and share their favorite recipes and maybe stories and pictures to go along with them! This way you have a great place to go if you need/ want to make something for whatever reason and you don't have to go digging through books and boxes for that one recipe. ^.^

Thanks and Bon App
étit!

Sunday, November 4, 2007

Gooey Butter Cake

Cake:
1 (18.25-ounce) box yellow cake mix
1 egg
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted

Filling:
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
2 eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 (16-ounce) box confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine cake mix, egg, and butter and mix well. Pat into the bottom of prepared pan and set aside.

Still using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese until smooth; add eggs and vanilla. Dump in confectioners' sugar and beat well. Reduce speed of mixer and slowly pour in butter. Mix well.

Pour filling onto cake mixture and spread evenly. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Don't be afraid to make a judgment call on the cooking time, because oven temperatures can vary. You want the center to be a little gooey, so don't bake it past that point!

Remove from oven and allow to cool completely. Cut into squares. Just remember that these wonderful little cakes are very, very rich, and a little will go a long way-even for piggies like me!

I'm not sure where this recipe comes from but it's a favorite in my family. I recently had my sister send the recipe to me and I made it myself for the first time. I even left in the piggy comment at the end, which probably originates with one of my aunts. It's more of a snack bar than a cake. Even though it's rich and sweet, we sometimes have it as a breakfast pastry. It probably works better as a dessert, though, for most people.

2 comments:

numberonelabrat said...

mmmm....deathly good.

Billy said...

I made another one of these last weekend for a Superbowl party and it was soooo good. I got lots of comments and a bunch of people wanted the recipe. I just had a piece of the leftovers tonight and I think it's even better now that it dried out a bit. The edges are crusty and munchable. I don't think we've ever had one last more than two days in my family so I never knew!